Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kings: NBC's Greatest Television Show Ever

Words fail.

So, it's 4 a.m. and I've yet to go to sleep. Why? I started watching the first episode of Kings on Hulu. Upon starting the episode I could not stop watching. Having viewed the entire first episode I say without hyperbole that Kings is the greatest television show ever.

Wikipedia describes the show as "the Biblical story of King David but set in a fictional kingdom resembling the present-day United States". Ok, now to that foundation add West Wing, a rags to riches Prince and the Pauper esque main character who is the audience's vehicle into the series, Sopranoes-esque psychological intrigue into the impact of power upon a flawed family unit, Allison Miller, and a dialog structure which properly utilizes the royal we.

Watch this show. No, I don't care what you are doing. Watch this damn show. Watch it now. Shut up! Watch this fucking show.



One who lives life without watching this episode of Kings will have lived an incomplete life.

Note: I'm pretty drunk and sleep deprived. So I may revoke this upon awakening to realize that the flag of the nation of Gilboa has a butterfly on it. That being said: WATCH THIS FUCKING SHOW!

12 comments:

Mike Lewis said...

it is, in fact sitting on my DVR waiting to be watched tonight.

Ian McShane is among the baddest motherfuckers to ever live.

if you like Kings - go watch deadwood.

_J_ said...

WATCH NOW!

Network television has not had a show of this quality in EVER.

Reflecting upon the episode? This episode was so much better than I initially thought it was.

It's so fucking good.

Mike Lewis said...

yeah -
this is fucking awesome.
no way around that.

Ian McShane is fucking awesom - the brother-in-law great

the shit with the son is going to be amazon. When you want to know how to write a pilot for television, this is what you should watch. It set all the elements up nicely.

I set up season pass on the DVR, this will be my new galatica.

_J_ said...

"When you want to know how to write a pilot for television, this is what you should watch."

EXACTLY! And given that the most recent pilot I watched was Dollhouse I think that only compounds my appreciation of Kings.

Mike Lewis said...

The first episode of Dollhouse was not a pilot. Weaton shot a two hour pilot for fox before it was picked up.

instaed of running that two hour pilot - that story line was turned into the 1st season's over-all arc.

Unknown said...

It was good, but I'm not going to grant it greatest thing ever status by any means at this point.

_J_ said...

Gasp!

Caleb said...

NBC...

I don't know what show might make you wrong, J.

The_Jolly said...

excellent first episode(s). Also apparently I'm most like Heiddeger according to a facebook philosophy quiz.

huh

Caleb said...

And, diet Dr. pepper tastes more like regular Dr. pepper.

Mike Lewis said...

i agree with caleb. After being let down by Studio 60 on nearly ever level, i can only hope NBC does not fuck this one up.

Roscoe said...

Kings... has.. value.

There are some obvious moments, but... those work with the tone of destiny and biblical adapatation.

I likes it.

On the other hand.. Dollhouse, episode six? VAST improvement. IT damnwell should have been tweaked into a pilot, in many, many ways. Or, failing that, devices from it ought to have been nicked for a true pilot.