Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pokémon Platinum: A Grad Student's Dilemma

So the semester is ending, I have three papers to write, I have comps to study for this summer, and I'll need to work full-time in order to have money to pay for rent and food. But, you see, Pokémon Platinum came out this weekend...

I know that I need to be strong. I have played every generation of Pokémon so far; I know what will happen; every game is the same. Rattatta is Sentret is Zigzagoon is Bidoof. I understand this.

But...this is the Crystal version of Diamond and Pearl. This is like...if they took Diamond and Pearl and combined them! It's a different version of the 5th generation of the same Pokémon game I've already played like eight times (Red, Blue, Yellow, Crystal, Ruby, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl)!

Ok, making sure I have all the generations:
Red / Blue / Yellow
Gold / Silver / Crystal
Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald
Fire Red / Leaf Green
Diamond / Pearl / Platinum

Anyway. Apparently to transfer Pokémon from Diamond to Platinum one requires 2 DSs in order to swap Pokémon (six at a time) via Wifi. And when I learned this I seriously considered, for a moment, sending an e-mail out to the grad department listserve saying "I need another DS to move my Pokémon from Diamond to Platinum. Does anyone have a DS I can borrow?" That thought occurred in my brain!

So, what do I do? Do I choose you, Pokémon? Or do I choose you, Schelling? Or can I has my Pokémon and my Schelling, too? Can I really stop playing Pokémon? What if I give up WoW to play Pokémon? Can I do that? Can I honestly not play Platinum?

Because...I WANT TO BE THE VERY BEST!!!!

11 comments:

_J_ said...

YOU TEACH ME AND I'LL TEACH YOU
POOOOKEEEEEEEYMOOOOOOOOON!

Unknown said...

I too am fighting the urge to pick up platinum.

Roscoe said...

heretics and sinners, allayall.

Everyone knows a DS is for Serious Gamings.

Mike Lewis said...

i have been playing world of goo
it is an awesome game

<-- puzzle games for the win

_J_ said...

I brought my copy of Diamond with me (actually, one of my copies of Diamond, we won't go into that...) and I was checking my bank to see how many pokemon I had and what I still needed.

If I can finish one of my papers this weekend I may very well get Platinum. Because pokemon is fucking awesome.

The real issue is time management. And if instead of sitting on forums or doing stupid things in WoW i play pokemon I don't think I would lose any time; i'd simply be wasting time differently.

Andrew said...

Time management is a wonderful thing. I am currently taking 10 credit hours, writing papers, working on three exhibits, working on a grant, working 20 hours a week, working on the UofL collections database, oh and tomorrow I am going to DC and Baltimore, be back Sunday.

_J_ said...

Well, I'm currently drunk and depressed.

So...I'm managing to do two things at the same time.

Ha.

HA!

Unknown said...

I broke down and bought platinum. Best Buy gave me a sign by sending me a $20 points reward and Teenie's parents sent me a $25 gift card to Best Buy also. So I got platinum for all intents and purposes for myself for free. I also bought myself Incredibad to celebrate the glorious event.

MA17 said...

Next time you guys just give me the $30 or whatever and I'll put a sticker that says "NEW!" on one of your old copies of Pokemon and erase your save and then it'll be just like playing whatever the next version will be called.

I'll even throw in a list of what you should nickname your Pokemon so that you don't notice that you are using a Rattata instead of a Bidoof.

Don't get me wrong, I've played way too much Pokemon myself, but Jesus Heracross Christ.

Unknown said...

I would like to note that I have only bought one version from each generation, so I'm not nearly as bad you make it out to be.

I bought the original red, and no other game boy versions. I bought ruby and no other GBA versions, and this is the first version for the DS I bought (I didn't pick up Pearl or Diamond).

MA17 said...

Well ok, just Jay then.

Jay, let me know when you want a 'new' Pokemon Game. I got just what you apparently need.