Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Bearth Day, Jolly!

April 22nd again. Another year gone by since the 6,000, or so, that have grudgingly passed since the delivery of water to water, the split of airy matter from earthy matter, the fair pronouncement of "Good" after a momentary assessment of a whole day's effort. And, gosh, do I ever agree with that assessment.

Sure, we've had our epochal deluges, sky-blotting volcanoes, genocidal tsunamis, incinerator-like wildfires, famine-inducing droughts, earthquake caused people-eating crevices, and lake bed CO2 pockets that rise to suffocate valley side villages, but here the Earth stands, still pulling its perfect sphere of a moon in perfect circles around our lovely--beautiful--blue planet. And, what more could we mortals ask for?

There's never going to be a day in my life when I won't at some point take the earth for granted, but, by gum, if there were to be a day, maybe some day, that I might not forget my place as a creature born from the dust of this earth, I think that day might also be the very day when I truly find that I have too often in my past spent too long assuming that my time to end is too far off to be of relevance to the current moment and that I, too far removed from the consequences of my actions on this here earth itself, have seen it, without sight, coming to the close of its period of hospitality to us all.

And, so, today I want to wish this earth a merry good one, and exhort my fellow co-inhabitants also to some merry earthward recognition.

Happy Earth Day Everyone.

3 comments:

The_Jolly said...

earthday was my birthday.

_J_ said...

fan-tastic.

Mike Lewis said...

something something natural