Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reading Rainbow ends this Friday



Reading Rainbow to end after 26 years.

Reading Rainbow comes to the end of its 26-year run on Friday; it has won more than two-dozen Emmys, and is the third longest-running children's show in PBS history — outlasted only by Sesame Street and Mister Rogers.

This is fucking tragic and worthy of all manner of scorn. How fucking asinine is it that a show whose sole purpose was to get children to read is being canceled? I know not whether one ought to blame funding problems or the Bush Administration's jackassery with regard to Public Education. But I suggest blaming something and focusing a wealth of scorn upon that which is blamed.

I get that I grew up with the show, learned to read partially as a result of the show, and attach to the show a wealth of childhood memories. So in that regard, yes, I'm fucking pissed for personal reasons. But I think that absent those personal ties the mere fact that Reading Rainbow, a show which has for 26 years prompted children to read, can simply fucking die is simply an atrocity.

I mean COME THE FUCK ON! Reading Rainbow gave us RUN DMC RAPPING ABOUT READING! Dora the butt-fucking Explorer never had Run DMC!


"So if you look into a book, like Run DMC says, there's fun to find."

So, yeah, after the final episode airs this Friday I suggest that you hate something which you think is to blame for the end of Reading Rainbow while you curl up with your favorite book and a glass of whatever gets you drunk fastest. Because shit like this is just another example of how fucking worthless and shitheaded this god-damned world is.

But you don't have to take my word for it.

9 comments:

_J_ said...

And why the SHIT did that dog turn into a star with a tail? Did that ever make sense? NO! NO it did not!

And now I will NEVER know why that fucking dog turned into a star with a tail.

Roscoe said...

Take a look, man. It's in a book.

Roscoe said...

Seriously, though? LeVar has been doing this thing since you guys have been alive. Since I was 2. Fuck it, likely since I was ONE and something.

And he's just being given the "Whoops? Sorry, No more cash?"

I'm feeling like Toby being told to cut Arts Funding.

Reading Rainbow's been around about as long as MTV, and IT hasn't changed format or gotten weak in it's old age.

Roscoe said...

Do we even HAVE shows anymore that instill a sense of self-driven discovery in kids?

I'm going to peg it here. W/out LeVar telling kids not to take HIS word for it?

Whole new generations of uncritical kids. LeVar Burton - the Skeptic's Friend....

Grr. there's a point in here, and I'm muddying it w/ halfjokes. I feel like this should be fixable simply by sounding the horn, assembling my news team, and going in fists a spinning.

Unknown said...

I would just like to note that LeVar Burton has done as much as any other man in breaking my ingrained racial stereotypes during my developmental periods. For that alone, I am grateful, not even taking into account how important Reading Rainbow was for me.

_J_ said...

"I would just like to note that LeVar Burton has done as much as any other man in breaking my ingrained racial stereotypes during my developmental period."

I very much agree with this.

MA17 said...

For his final episode, Burton will talk about a book, and then insist that children better take his damn word for it.

Roscoe said...

"I have a dozen Emmys for this, you little shits! What do you have? WHAT!? WHAT?! That's what I THOUGHT. Now sit your ass down and read."

oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, jordan shoes, ray ban outlet, christian louboutin shoes, gucci handbags, louboutin shoes, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, nike shoes, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, red bottom shoes, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton outlet, oakley vault, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, nike free, longchamp outlet, nike air max, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion, tiffany and co jewelry, burberry outlet online, kate spade handbags, coach outlet store online, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors outlet