Tuesday, January 15, 2008

$20 iPod Touch Update

When I saw that Apple expects me to pay $20 for the newest iPod Touch Update I was surprised. I didn't think that Apple was that sort of company. But apparently they are that sort of company and I was mistaken in giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I am not going to pay $20 for the software update. Here are a few reasons:

The price is not justified
The software provided in the patch is software already used on the iPhone or now currently used on the iPhone. There are no liscenses Apple had to purchase to obtain this software, no hidden fees. Apple owns the software and is already using it on other products. The $20 fee is there because they can charge users $20 not because they need to.

The fee will go away
The wonderful thing about the hive mind of Apple users is that what infuriates one infuriates them all. There is no way that the collective of iPod Touch users will willingly pay $20 for this patch. There will be bitching, Apple will apologize, and I will get the update for free.

Even if Apple does not soon remove the fee there is no way that Apple will support two lines of software for the same product. They won't make distinctions between those who bought the $20 software package and those who did not; they will eventually lump everyone together into the same pool. Even if this does not happen until February when they release the developer's kit I still think that eventually the software in this update will be available for free.

Speaking of February...
Remember when Apple announced the iPhone SDK for February? When this happens many replacements for the software in this latest patch will be released. I'm willing to bet $20 that there will be free versions of notepad for the iPod Touch shortly after the SDK is released.

On Jailbreaking
I have not used jailbreak yet to unlock my iPod Touch. For those who do not know, jailbreak is a program that unlocks the Touch and allows users to install various programs such as games, stock checkers, e-mail clients, notepad, etc. I have not yet used jailbreak because my understanding was that Apple as a company was cool, that they did not needlessly prevent users from getting the most out of their products, that they were not assholes. But if Apple is going to start charging users for software updates which do less than what jailbreak does for free? I foresee a jailbreak in my Touch's future.

In closing
Please remove the asinine $20 fee, Apple. You don't need to charge customers $20 for updates to a product they purchased for $400. You don't want to be that guy.

10 comments:

Mike Lewis said...

all of those things.
dugg.

Mike Lewis said...

engadget has some more info

Mike Lewis said...

a thought.

the SDK comes out in about 6 weeks. I don't know if that means that developers get the tools or the NDS expires. Selling these apps may be a way to test the distribution network for 3rd party apps.

it still sucks and apple can go fuck them selves inasmuch as the iphone and appletv get major upgrades at no cost.

_J_ said...

I forgot the other option which is someone else downloads the patch, hosts it on their own server, and I get it that way.

I only want the notepad application. If i'm near wifi I can check my gmail account without the mail addon and I don't need a weather or stock program.

I don't think this would be a good way to test distribution and interest in 3rd party apps. My unwillingness to pay $20 for notepad is not indicative of an unwillingness to pay $4 for bejeweled.

Anonymous said...

Oh that sucks, i was surprised too, there is no way to pay $20 for a upgrade already in use. iPhone an apple tv users dont have to pay and ipod touch users have to pay for that software. I mean, come on, What are you thinking apple?

_J_ said...

They might not be thinking.

I want to know from which hole on their person they pulled the $20 fee from. New versions of the iPod Touch are not $20 more. So why would someone who bought their Touch before yesterday have to pay $20?

It doesn't make any sense.

Mike Lewis said...

From Daring Fireball's :Keynote Round up

e $20 iPod Touch Update

There were audible groans in the keynote hall when Jobs announced that the iPod Touch update costs $20. That’s an interesting difference between the Touch and the iPhone. One reason, I think, is that unlike with iPhones, Apple is not accounting for iPod Touches on a subscription bases — so they have to charge something to add features in order to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley. But they could charge something less than $20. I wonder how frequently Apple plans to offer $20 feature upgrades to Touch owners.

But, on the other hand, if Apple is charging for the iPod Touch upgrade to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley, why is the Apple TV upgrade free? As far as I know, they’re not accounting for Apple TV sales on a subscription basis. I’m left with the feeling that they’re charging $20 for the iPod Touch upgrade simply because they can.

Update: I was wrong, Apple is accounting for Apple TV on a subscription basis, just like with the iPhone. That explains the free upgrade.

Cost aside, it’s an utterly compelling upgrade for the Touch; it’s hard to imagine any Touch owner not wanting it. But it seems weird to pay $20 for a bunch of apps that already existed. Apparently the apps are already there on the 1.1.3 Touch OS, because the upgrade itself weighs in at just 9 kilobytes.

_J_ said...

I'll carry my $2 notepad around with me rather than pay $20 for my Touch to have a notepad program.

Anonymous said...

Very nicce!

Anonymous said...

apparently car montgomery auto plaza lubbock grant turismo 4 car list car in lake eola cascade auto center wenatchee