Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reminded why I hate pop music

I've been bored at work today, with a light task load so I decided to hit up cnn. To my horror this is what I found:

The most popular singles of the past 50 years

Looking through the top 10 displayed only 4 of those songs don't force me to cringe (The Twist, Smooth, Mack the Knife, and Hey Jude), and only two of those (Mack and Jude) do I actually enjoy. It reinforces my lack of faith in US society, not merely today but for the past 50 years.

I am a bit relieved that the top 3 didn't completely suck, though 6 of the next 7 were brutally awful.

5 comments:

_J_ said...

Smooth?! Are you fucking...SMOOTH!?!?!

I fucking hate that fuuuuuuckiing song.

_J_ said...

Mostly because I hate Rob Thomas.

_J_ said...

HATE

Unknown said...

Smooth is the song you pick out on the last that drives your hate? Smooth is tame compared to the likes of Physical and Macarena.

Mike Lewis said...

that is a very offensive list. If it makes you feel better, Billboard was (maybe still is) a huge scam.

For decades, sales of music were calculated by at Billboard calling random member records stores, getting their weekly sales, then extrapolating total sales based on some algorithm. This makes it VERY easy to game the system. Record companies know the memebrs stations, pay them to inflate sales, some goes up the chart and therefore they are able to get get more radio play, and that equals larger sales