Sunday, October 14, 2007

Turkey is dumb.

Turkey's top general warned that ties with the U.S., already strained by attacks from rebels hiding in Iraq, will be irreversibly damaged if Congress passes a resolution that labels the World War I-era killings of Armenians a genocide.

So, apparently, in Turkish Kindergarden classes the adage is, "Sticks and stones may break my bones and words will always hurt me."

I fail to see what the problem is. Sure, no country likes to have another country proclaim that 90 years ago it committed genocide, that's no one's idea of a party. But considering it was 90 years ago, and it is a toothless resolution that doesn't actually do anything I don't understand why Turkey is being so pissy about this. Because here is what will happen. Congress passes a resolution saying that 90 years ago the Armenian Genocide was a Genocide. Then that resolution gets filed in a cabinet somewhere.

What kind of person is irritated by this?

Much as I read about this situation I can't find anything that will actually happen as a result of the resolution. Turkey won't be tasked with making blankets for every Armenian of woman born, Turkey won't have to construct settlements for the ancestors of these Armenians. Nothing will actually happen.

So why do they care what our Congress, who are not historians, say?