Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mark Kirk: Shoot Obama on Sight

Illinois Congressman Mark Kirk (R) said Wednesday, June 18th on a radio program:

"I would much rather have a policy where if we see Obama, there's a shoot-on-sight order."
He later apologized:
On Wednesday, I misspoke when talking with a local Chicago radio program regarding the current presidential campaign of Sen. Barack Obama as well as the status of our anti-terrorism efforts against Osama bin Laden. During the course of this conversation, I mistakenly referred to 'Osama' as 'Obama.' After being alerted to my mistake, I apologized to Sen. Obama for my misstatement and will take extra care to make sure I do not make such a mistake again.
I'm not sure where to go on this one. Either Mark Kirk is an idiot who is easily befuddled by the difference between "b" and "s" or Mark Kirk is an idiot whose apology amounts to b.s. Given the little R next to his name I'm certain that idiocy is involved. I just don't know what kind.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Most likely a Freudian slip that shows all too often what most conservatives think when they see his name. Because it sounds similar to that of a known terrorist, Barack Obama must therefore be a terrorist...

Obviously that is stupid, and people who think this way severely need to be educated. But c'est la vie, some people just don't want to learn.

Unknown said...

Sorry double post.

_J_ said...

My assumption is that as the general election really kicks in after the Conventions we'll see more "mistakes" of this kind by people with little 'R's by their name.

I'd like to know if these sorts of things are Freudian slips or honest attempts to confuse the electorate.

Caleb said...

honest attempts?

Caleb said...

earnest attempts?

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, as the Republican party has learned from the last two elections. Word association is more dangerous than any sort of issue.

In the last eight years alone, the Republican party has redefined or demonized so many words, and general public has proven how impressionable they are.

Remember when a patriot was measured by their love of the constitution and principles the country stood for, rather than by their support of the standing president? Remember when liberal wasn't a dirty word? Remember when terrorist didn't mean muslim?

_J_ said...

I debated using "honest attempts" and in the end stuck with it.

"Liberal" has always been a dirty word.

"Terrorist" has always meant "someone different than us".

We have always been at war with Eurasia.