Friday, September 7, 2007

Metroid Prime 3

I may not have yet finished playing Metroid Prime 3, and I may be talking to people who may never even begin to play it, but I won't let trivial matters like those get in my way of bullet-point reviewing it.

1) There is more talking in the first five minutes of MP3 than in the entirety of every other Metroid game combined, and these people need to shut up.

I may be wrong about that, as my memory of MP2 is hazy at best, but usually Metroid is a readin' game. Not that I oppose automatically to voicing games that used to be silent, but when people talk, that means there are PEOPLE (plural), as opposed to, say, ONE PERSON (the player). And again, I don't hate it just because it's different, but because it is a waste of time and it goes against the whole solitary nature of the series to date.

2) I am happy to aim my gun with the Wiimote, but don't make me push and pull and twist the damn thing just to open a door.

This refusal to make a Wii game that doesn't have at least 10 retardedly useless wiimote commands thing needs to pass along. This is especially true in cases where I need to make a motion that prevents my death, and the hardware does not agree with the motion I am making.

3) Everything else is pretty great.

Shooting aliens, reading stuff, it's all here.

I give Metroid Prime 3 one jelly sandwich out of a possible thermostat.

7 comments:

_J_ said...

But if they don't force you to do those motions then the gimick is gone. It's like DS games that make you tap the screen needlessly, except that the DS is responsive.

Kyle boughted a Wii, and I went to Indy and played it, and I mostly hated having to move the Wiimote to do things. In Mario Party, for example, one may life their Wiimote towards the heavens in order to bunch the dice rolling block. Or to randomly select a player one must use their Wiimote to throw a dart at a spinning board.

You know what? I'm happy to just Press A for those things. Aiming at the screen? Sensible use for the Wiimote. Punching a block? Let me Press A.

Roscoe said...

I'm going to argue against that..

for some people, they're going to love the opening doors.. others are going to see it as an amazing thing at first, and get tired of it shortly after.

Early DS utility? split between genius and asinine... so too with Wiimote functionality, if not more so.

But the DS found it's level, and actually became an interesting and innovate game-tool. The 'motes will as well.. let devs. play around and find what works, what doesn't and what needs moderation. I mean.. look at Super Paper Mario... very little wii-nonsense.. it's there.. but it's generally relegated to lesser importance/plenty of time scenarios...

MA17 said...

I'm worried that not liking to gesture with a Wiimote is a sign of old crotchety-ness, and there will be kids who can do it perfectly and wonder at the fact that I frustrate myself with failure.

There was a bit of MP3 I finished last night where I had to pull three switches located on three separate platforms while fighting off respawning enemies who like to reset the switches. A challenging scenario to begin with, but then they added the condition that switches can ONLY be pulled by using your grapple beam, which is utilized by holding down a button and first thrusting the nunchuck forward, then pulling it back. It took me far too long to accomplish my goal because I had to repeat the motion far too often, and there were moments of bleak hopelessness as I fought the controls to get a switch pulled, rewarded only with the sight of enemies undoing my previous work.

So things like that make me wonder: am I too set in my "press A to perform action" ways to appreciate "chug-a-chug your left arm like a steam engine to perform action", and are there 8 year olds out there right now who will master these new techniques and games will be written for them, and people like me will just have to find a new way to entertain ourselves?

_J_ said...

Well, like most of life's problems I find that the PA forums can usually provide answers.

I'd suggest going there and asking in the Metroid thread if other people experience these same problems. Then we can know if it is you or the world.

The problem, though, is that I've noticed that if we age we encounter far more "transformers" situations, where we're right and the rest of the world is demonstrably wrong, yet they continue to maintain their position. So I don't know how to assess other's views of things anymore.

I haven't played enough Wii to know what my view is. All I know is that in Marvel Ultimate Alliance I fucking hate that one has to keep their nunchuck hand in one position through the entire game lest the camera start spinning like a top.

_J_ said...

And to Roscoe's Point. It's not a matter of "I don't want to raise my hand to punch a block". It's a matter of "I raised my hand and the fucking thing didn't punch the block".

_J_ said...

Apparently there all is be settings that can fix some issues.

Roscoe said...

It's called Wii Calibration.

I mean.. gods knows I see it enough when the shades are open down here...

and yeah.. sometimes a motion just won't work.... beucase of my gimp elbow or your assbackwards arm movement, or so on.

but, goddamn if it doesn't seem like you're cranky to be cranky on this one. Especially towards the Mario Party. What did you expect, considering.. it's MP.