Thursday, September 6, 2007

No, it's not.

So, I watched the Republican Debate last night on Fox News, because I hate myself. And even though there were plenty of delightful moments, like when Ron Paul almost killed someone, one stands out in my mind. I know I didn't imagine it, because I found three (1 2 3) sources which also saw this happen.

From Senator Brownback:
"I think that's what you have to do in looking at the reality. And the next president needs to come in and know foreign policy and not learn it on the job. This is something we need to know going in. The world is flat. I ought to know that. Being from Kansas, I understand flat."

You don't need to know the context for that, by the way. Because when a Republican Presidential Candidate says "The World Is Flat" he's* not speaking metaphorically. And even if he thinks he is speaking metaphorically, he's not. Once a person reads Genesis and thinks it is literally true they forfeit the right to ever construe anything as a metaphor**.

I think that's the crazy of the Republican Presidential Candidates. If you overlook the fearmongering and the greed, the intolerance and the bigotry, the most significant problem is that they don't base their understanding of reality on reality. They think they are living somewhere other than Earth. They think Guantanamo is a resort. They think that we need to kill brown people so that brown people with beards don't come blow up our buildings. They think that sacrificing liberty will increase our liberty. These people, despite their age, seem to have not spent a single day observing objective reality. They don't know how the world works. They don't understand their existence. They've fabricated a dream world and assume they're living within it. And all of it is perfectly exemplified by Brownback saying to the American People, "The world is flat."

You know what, Brownback? The world isn't flat. And if you open your eyes and pay attention you will learn many more fascinating things about the world in which you live, you ignorant dolt.


*I can use the male pronoun because there will never be a female Republican Presidental Candidate.
**To maintain one's metaphor liscense one must be able to correctly identify metaphors.

No comments: