Sunday, January 6, 2008

Strings and Rods

Let's say I decided to make for myself a marionette. I suppose I would carve some wood into the approximate shape of human limbs and attach them with joints to a wooden torso with a wooden head on top of it all. I'd then attach some lengths of string to the extremities of the puppet and maybe I'd tie the other ends of those strings to my fingers, so that when I moved my hand in certain ways, the strings would be pulled and the puppet would be made to move.

Now obviously it'd be a very simple man who watched my puppet moving around and did not deduce that it was only doing so because of my own motions, but what would you say about the person who doesn't wonder at how I myself am made to move? I think it's reasonable, within the confines of this metaphor, to suppose that on my extremities are lengths of string which extend invisibly to the hand of a puppeteer who created me much in the way that I created my puppet.

The problem with that is there's no reason to assume that the chain ends there. Why not another set of strings which are pulled by yet another puppeteer, and after that more string and more puppeteers all the way into infinity?

Maybe the answer to that is when I make my puppet, that's the entire length of the chain. There's me, and there's my puppet, and if I want there to be a puppeteer above me, I have to make him, too. Only instead of using string I attach rods to my limbs, so that he'll stay above me and when I move my body, it'll push my puppeteer's hand into motion as well.

Sometimes I wish there were a puppeteer. It'd make some things a bit simpler and probably more satisfying. But we can't even seem to agree on what kind of puppeteer to make for ourselves, and even that is a little disappointing. When I look at my own wrists and ankles, I don't see string or rods, even if I wish I did. I don't see anything at all, and can be troubling.

15 comments:

Caleb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caleb said...

Adam <3 Huckabee's?

MA17 said...

I'm just sad that my prayers to Shub-Niggurath go unheard.

_J_ said...

If there is such a being and you are, in fact, a puppet you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it in much the same way as your puppet is not aware of its being a puppet.

But if we're opening the door to things which exist of which we are not aware then a plethora of other beings pop into existence. Such as the dinosaur who is always just outside your vision and the observational range of any equpiment you utilize to attempt to spot him.

_J_ said...

And if you are tempted to argue that God and invisible dinosaur are somehow different I am sorry but Anselm was incorrect.

And if you think Anselm was correct I refer you to Kant.

Roscoe said...

Damnation, Teevan. You understand that The Mighty Thor is even now gathering unto him the lost legions of Valhalla?

Guy's got a biopic coming out and everything.

'course.. I hear Asgard's over Okalahoma or New Mexico or somesuch, now.

But after a supernatural disaster like Hurricane Ragnarok, you take what you can get, you know?

_J_ said...

Asgard cannot be "over" Okalahoma or New Mexico.

Roscoe said...

Who the hell are you? Some Asgardian Theologian? Unless you're the fifth Zeppelin, I don't think your testimony counts.

Were you there when the Destroyer took out New York? Were you there when Thor became the Frog of Thunder?

What about when All Seeing Odin cast his son down to Midgard to teach him humility. Any of the eight times. WHERE WERE YOU DURING THE COMING OF BETA RAY BILL, SIR?!

Roscoe said...

Also, from the Wiki page for Thor:

Thor rebuilds Asgard in Oklahoma and after paying for the land with Asgardian treasure, seeks his fellow Asgardians.[16] Thor learns of the events of the superhero-registration "Civil War" and is angered that Tony Stark (Iron Man) waged war on the heroes who had been their friends, and is also angered that Stark and others used his DNA to create the Thor Clone without his knowledge or permission. Thor defeats Iron Man in a confrontation, and states he will respond with greater aggression unless left in peace. Seeking a compromise, Stark rationalizes that Asgard may be considered a foreign embassy, with diplomatic immunity granted to its inhabitants. Thor deems this acceptable, and allows Stark to leave, but not before warning him that matters between them are far from settled. Soon after he finds the first of the lost Asgardians, Heimdall, in New Orleans, Louisiana and restores him to his true form.[17]

_J_ said...

It is probably the case that saying "cannot" within a discussion of comics is a futile endeavor.

My understanding was that "Asgard is a planetoid existing in a alternate dimension". So if a thing was not a planetoid existing in an alternate dimension it could not be Asgard.

Sort of like how Weeble cannot be a cat because cats have four legs.

_J_ said...

"I'm just sad that my prayers to Shub-Niggurath go unheard."

You could do what Christians do and interpret whatever happens as somehow related to what they asked.

If you ask Shub-Niggurath for rain and it does not rain then say it was not a part of Shub-Niggurath's plan. If you ask Shub-Niggurath for rain and it does rain then say your prayer was answered.

And if someone you know has a disease and they take a medication or undergo a surgery or procedure which curse the disease then be sure to attribute this to the benevolent nature of Shub-Niggurath.

Because that won't piss anyone off.

Roscoe said...

Nah.. Sometimes Asgard is a mystical place, sometimes Galactus comes up upon it in space, all latenight snacky.

And sometimes, the Rainbow Bridge leads to a mom and pop diner out on route 66.

the floating above thing was wrong though.. that was in the year plus long semi-dark Future Thor story, the Reigning, wherein Odin was dead and Thor moved Asgard to... well.. float above.. somewhere.. maybe New York.

_J_ said...

"Nah.. Sometimes Asgard is a mystical place,
sometimes Galactus comes up upon it in space,
"

I thought you were going to break out into a rap.

_J_ said...

Sometimes Asgard is a mystical place,
sometimes Galactus comes upon it in space,
Beta Ray Bill ain't touchin' that shit,
Thor comin' round he don't know when to quit.

Jump Around. Jump Around.
Asgard is gonna Jump Around
Jump Around. Jump Around.
Thor be movin' this bitch to your town.

Thor's hammer's called Mjolnir for which there's no rhyme,
Odin exists throughout all of time,
Asgard's a fucking plantoid in space,
Until Thor be movin' that shit to your place.

Jump Around. Jump Around.
Asgard is gonna Jump Around
Jump Around. Jump Around.
Thor be movin' this bitch to your town.



Like that.

_J_ said...

I'm layin' down rhymes like a fucking Asgardian,
I would have had more but I've been out partyin'
Asgard is a home
Valhalla's a realm
THOR SPORTS MAD WINGS ON HIS SWEET FUCKIN HELM

Jump Around. Jump Around.
Asgard is gonna Jump Around
Jump Around. Jump Around.
Thor be movin' this bitch to your town.