Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ninjatown: Won't you take me too

Now that the political atmosphere is calming down, I can get back to what I like doing best. Playing games and then talking about them. Today, after getting a few hours to play Ninjatown, I will talk about it.

This game takes two things I love very much, and combines them. Ninjas and fortifying a location to defend it.

First ninjas:
We all know ninjas kick ass. For me there is no question.

The game has many different ninjas that all have unique abilities in helping defend one's town. At this poing I have unlocked 4 different kinds.
The wee ninja is an all around melee ninja, cheap and effective. The anti-ninja, a slow bruising melee type. The sniper ninja, who uses a blow gun to shoot down air invaders, which the melee types can't hit. Lastly, the snow ninja, a utility ninja that throws snowballs to slow down opposing troops.

Second fortifactions and defense:
I have a bad habit in RTSes of building up a base and putting up defensive structures all over the place. This tends to get me killed on a very consistent basis due to the offensive nature of RTSes. This game however rewards this behavior. I for one am pleased.

Your job is to keep the demons from passing through your town and doing damage to you, but you have a limited number of resources (cookies) in which to buy and upgrade ninjas. You must be strategic in which ninjas you buy and when you upgrade them to keep the demon hordes at bay. Also, special buildings exist to allow you to improve adjacent ninjas abilites, such as damage and attack range. The demon hordes walk down a path or even multiple paths to get through your town. A grid like system allows you to place huts for cookies, each hut containing two ninjas of the specified type. You place the huts strategically to stem the flow of demons. As demons are defeated by your ninjas, you earn more cookies to spend on more huts, buildings, or upgrading ninjas. As the old master ninja, you can also unlock abilities that allow you help out your ninja defenses.




I was quite impressed with the game. Although, the graphics and characters may seem childish. It is quite enjoyable, and I found myself redoing a few stages over and over to get an A grade before moving on, because I found it to be so much fun. It is definitely a game I would recommend to anyone.

2 comments:

_J_ said...

If the nouns in the game were all substituted with, say, not ninjas and not cookies and not monsters...would the game be as enjoyable?

Is the enjoyability of the game the gameplay, or the ninjas and cookies and silly?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I would still enjoy the game. It is a bit of a puzzle rts.