Thursday, November 13, 2008

Valkyria Chronicles: Almost worth buying a PS3 for

Let me preface this by saying that no one game is worth buying a PS3 for, but if you are thinking of getting one, Valkyria Chronicles makes that decision a lot easier.

Valkyria Chronicles, if I am forced to categorize it, a Tactical RPG, but it brings with it an elements of Gears of War, and Battlefield. Never before when playing a TRPG, have I felt as if I were truly in a battle. I always treated the games more like a chess match than a war. Valkyria Chronicles changes that.

Set in a Earth-like setting, similar to our own WWII era. Following a great War, the world has broken out in another war as the evil empire from the east has it's sights set on lowly Gallia, a neutral state. If you don't like cut scenes and story this game is not for you. Thankfully, I love me some stories. After only a few hours of play, I'm guessing 6 or so, I'm deeply engrossed and find myself constantly wanting more.

Your squad consists of 20 hand picked members, of which you can use 9 at a time (as has been the case for me thus far), but you can retreat them out if near a base and replace them the next turn. (both actions however cost resources). Each unit type has a situational use. Scouts are fast and efficient, Shocktroopers provide even offense and mobility, Lancers are anti tank troops, snipers are just that, and engineers are a useful utility class with great movement.


The game's combat system is an interesting mix of turn based strategy and gears of war. The turn based strategy part is the command view. You see a map view of the scenario, with tokens representing your troops and visible opposition troops. At the start of each turn you are awarded a certain number of "Command Points"(CP). These can be spent on troops actions and orders. Each troop action costs one CP, a tank action costs two CP, and orders have different CP costs depending on the power of the ability. Once you decide to spend a CP on a troop action, you are moved into a third person over the shoulder view similar to Gears of War. Like GoW you are able to crouch behind bunkers to secure cover, and have an aiming view to fire shots. For the most part, you only get one round of shots (at a single target) per action (CP spent). As you are moving your units, you are often under fire from opposing units in their bunkers. This part really gives you the feel of being in an actual combat zone. As scenarios play out, there are often bases to take as you cross the landscape, allowing you to retreat faster troops that took the base and move in some heavier troops to help break the lines to the next base.

Another interesting feature of the game includes group leveling and equipping. In an attempt to reduce the micromanagement involved in a game with such a large squad, you level your units as a unit type (IE all scouts or all snipers). Also, when you pay for a new rifle upgrade, all of your rifle users get this upgrade automatically. I'm finding I love this feature for equipment, but am a little disappointed that my troops don't level up differently.

This game brings a refreshing new perspective on TRPGs, and I am hooked.

6 comments:

Mike Lewis said...

Great review.

The art is fan-fucking-tastic. one of the most beautiful games i have ever seen.

Unknown said...

Yeah I forgot to mention how painfully pretty it is. It reminds me a lot of the PSP FFT cutscenes art, only somehow injected into the entire game.

Unknown said...

I'm going to try to get an Endwar review up after this weekend, I think, also. I have a bunch of other games I would like to put reviews up for, but just don't have the time to play them to a point where I feel I'm comfortable writing the review.

_J_ said...

Leveling or Item Collection?

or Arthas? Does it have Arthas?

_J_ said...

Also, thank you for writing these reviews. I enjoy reading them.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!

Unknown said...

Very little leveling or item collection (both are done en masse) at this point, just a good old fashioned storyline.