Monday, June 25, 2007

Crap, Almighty!

The problem with the "Almighty" films is not the poor storytelling. The problem is also not the poor writing. The problem is also not, surprisingly, that one scene where Jim Cary is "seduced" by that lady who is all attractive but wears black because she might be the devil, or a demon, or just some lady, or someone else. We're not really sure. Given all that one might suspect that the problem is the gigantic error-riddled theological quagmire these movies present to the viewing audience. But that, too, is not the biggest problem with the "Almighty" films.

The problem is that people see these films and then talk about them. And they talk about them at work. And I have to listen to them.

Evan Almighty continues this tradition of "sparking conversations that I have to listen to" by retelling the story of Noah, the "main" character of the only flood myth, ever. I say "main" because, argubly, Morgan Freeman would be the main character, unless we want to argue that, theologically, God only ever plays a supporting role.

According to the people with whom I work Evan Almighty tells a "cute story" with a "nice, Biblical message" which is not "sacrilegious" despite what the boy who is dating this individual's daughter would say.

Rather than bang my head on my desk until blood comes out of my ears and I die a sweet death I will provide a link to The Epic of Gilgamesh, the "oldest written story on earth". Followed by a link to the wikipedia page about the Flood Myth in the oldest written story on earth.


I will end this post with a picture of a guinea pig wearing a leash:

11 comments:

Roscoe said...

1) Life in a Warsaw Workplace is a special little hell for us.

3) There is no two.

4) So.. if Noah rips off Gilgamesh.. which.. is the first comicbook.. then.. .does that make The Bible our antiquarian equivalent of Heroes? Look! It's the same plot device, but badly done, for the masses!

_J_ said...

I think of it this way:

Epic of Gilgamesh: Thor
Christian Mythology: Beta Ray Bill

I find it to be a sound comparison.

_J_ said...

I should also mention that I think "God" and "Morgan Freeman" are interchangeable terms.

Kylebrown said...

That is only because George Burns is dead, correct?

Kylebrown said...

Also, please don't defame Beta Ray Bill.

_J_ said...

Yes to George Burns.

I'm not defaming Horse-faced-space-jesus.

Mike Lewis said...

im more or less certian at this point that Morgan Freeman ought to be killed out of the Aferircan Community for making a cerre

Caleb said...

Oh, Utanapishtim, I never knew you.

Roscoe said...

Ut-Na-Pish-Tim!

It's like Billy Batson shouting Shazam!

_J_ said...

"It's like Billy Batson shouting Shazam!"

It's nothing like that and you damn well know it.

Roscoe said...

have you tried it?

I bet Morgan Freeman tried it.

Morgan Freeman. Freddy Freeman.

C'mon. It's all right there.