Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween isn't Satanism.

It's Halloween. This means that the office is full of talk about how people don't "celebrate" it. Which astounds me.

When I was a wee tyke in Elementary School we had Halloween parties; they were awesome. And then we went Trick-or-Treating; that was awesome too. And satan was in no way involved in any of it. Satan wasn't involved, for example, in the composition of my Ninja Turtle costume or the composition of my Jedi Costume. Satan was not at our parties, lurking within the punch bowel. Satan was not in my neighborhood when my neighbors gave me candy simply because I presented them with a near-empty sack.

And, yeah, if you research the day you end up at a conversation about All Saints Day and All Hallow's Eve, but those don't involve Satan either. And, yes, if you keep digging you can find the roots of "a celebration at this time of the year" in pagan traditions. But that applies to Christmas as well.

So I really don't know what the fuck these people are talking about given that their claims aren't based in anything but rampant idiocy and ignorance.

So my suggestion is that they shut up, watch a Charlie Brown Halloween, obtain candy from their neighbors, and stop worrying about what a bunch of Gaelic people did hundreds of years ago. And most of all:

SHUT UP ABOUT IT AT WORK!

Or at least allow me to openly refutue your damn claims.

9 comments:

Roscoe said...

Why don't you openly refute them?

Hrmn?

Why must you bottle that rage.

I demand you go all Malcolm X.

_J_ said...

Excellent question. I have no idea.

Andrew said...

There has been no mention of satan today. someone did say "hey, today is halloween."

if you left warsaw, you would hear less about satan.

MA17 said...

When I went to the christian elementary school we had parties for holidays like Christmas, Valentine's Day, and even Halloween. I half-recall one time trying to tell other students that Halloween was a satanic holidy (something I had probably picked up at home, though I don't think anyone in my family really actually thought so, just talk) and the teacher disagreed. Probably partially to keep order at an elementary school party (veritble powder kegs), but maybe also partially because, as we all seem to agree , it's so far removed from Satan that there's little point in trying to connect them.

On something of a related note: one of my least favorite episodes of the Boondocks is the Christmas episode because of how that damn kid tries with such conviction to convince people that Christmas, being the child of such as Yule and Saturnalia, shouldn't be celebrated by Christians. I suppose the point of that episode may be to jokingly out-conservative the conservatives by exposing Christian traditions (which must not be lost!) as being the result of synchrotistic theft from pagan traditions (which must not be lost!). However, Huey is like the child who tries to out-scream a screaming child, and I would rather not hear either of them any longer.

_J_ said...

If I left Warsaw I would hear much less of many idiotic things.

I wonder if that Christian Elementary School still celebrates Halloween.

The Boondocks is not for me.

My mom is going to give out bags of halloween popcorn and little things of playdough that are apparently halloween-ish.

I am ashamed that I live in a house which does not provide candy. I'm tempted to go buy candy to provide to the bastards who show up tonight.

But a more sensible option is to go to Wal-Mart at 1 a.m. and get cheap candy for myself.

Roscoe said...

No, he wouldn't....

Jay kinda attracts that kinda stuff.


I mean. Warsaw's not GREAT for avoiding it, but it's not exactly hard, either

Roscoe said...

Jay, hand out the small airline bottles of booze.

Poor kids need a little anethesia just to get by, there in New Canan.

MA17 said...

"I wonder if that Christian Elementary School still celebrates Halloween."

Interestingly, both of your bosses sent their kids to that same school.

_J_ said...

That explains a few things.

I'm glad that my non-college education came from public schools.