Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Flickr Video

Flickr added a new feature yesterday, flickr video. You have to have a pro account to add video, but anyone can watch. This is a video i shot with my camera a few weeks ago. There is a 90 second limit on video length. They say it is to get people to share personal videos, not rick rolling or Willard Scott being fucked up.



edit: The more i think about it, the more the 90sec limit seems ridiculous. it occurred to me on my walk to work that flickr is already limited video service to people who pay to use flickr. It seems like that is enough to keep people from using the service to share copy righted videos.

Unlike youtube, where one could be banded for uploading videos, all you have to do is start a new free account. Flickr Pro costs 24$ a year. This is a lot of money for someone who wants to share episodes of venture bros just to get banned. One of the best parts of flickr is the social-y sorts of things. I can see when my friends upload pictures, comment on them etc. I have also uploaded nearly 1000 pictures. That is a lot of time and effort and i do not want to lose that.

That is enough reason to not use flickr video for something other than my own videos.

1 comment:

_J_ said...

1) The 90 second limit is to minimize the storage requirements on their end.

2) I'm not paying $24 when youtube exists.

3) I use flickr to host pictures for our shitty blog and to host the avatar I use on forums. That's it.

4) I hate Web 2.0. Nobody needs to see the 37 pictures you took of your cat on your cat's first birthday. Nobody needs to see the youtube video of your cat nomming on a cake. Nobody needs to read the poem you wrote about your cat which you posted to your stupid little blog.

5) LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!