Monday, October 1, 2007

People sometimes contribute stupid crap to the IDS

While reading the Indiana Daily Student (the IU newspaper), I ran across an opinion piece entitled Byte the Power, and I was genuinely surprised by how stupid it was. It's about Luddites and how computers are a fad and also evil. I'm tempted to think that her tongue is in her cheek given that the overall tone is silly (frivolously stupid), but I'm afraid she might be serious (dangerously stupid).

I think my favorite part is where she says that since computers sometimes crash at inopportune times, and since it's possible to be charged multiple times for a single monetary transaction over a computer network, that computers "Obviously [...] have done us more harm than good." I wonder what it's like to have the wind rushing against your face as you leap, gazelle-like, to such a conclusion. Also worth noting is where she wonders what we can do about technology, turns to the Luddites as an example, then suggests not using them as an example, segueing effortlessly into a list of computerized things that should be kept around. Splendid.

The original article is maybe a page long, but I think I can pare it down to about 15 words.

COMPUTERS BAD BLAH BLAH BLAH OH WAIT THEY'RE ACTUALLY GOOD, SORRY FOR WASTING YOUR TIME.

Also, I've had this in my head all day thanks to this article.

4 comments:

Mike Lewis said...

do you a remeber a time when public enemy was relevant?

i guess i don't because i was 10.

Mike Lewis said...

okay - so it has been a while since I've seen this video (maybe the first time watching it all the way through) if you are going to preach a message of "fighting the power" while at the same time using an army of Nation of Islam Body guards keep people away....i think you need to stop back and thing, because structurally, something is wrong.

Roscoe said...

Man.. We wouldn't have this problem if we had an Iron Man. He'd sort out those damned Luddites

_J_ said...

And I knew he had to be right, too – he does, after all, have a Ph.D., which, as we all know, makes a person infallible.

Um...

Heaven forbid I actually step outside and check the weather myself!

Sometime, before humanity becomes extinct, it will be decreed that no one, ever, is allowed to downplay the utility of weather forecasts and weather forecasting technology simply because one can observe the current meterological situations in one's immediate area.