Saturday, December 1, 2007

Bender's Big Score

The good news is that there's a Futurama movie, the bad news is that its straight-to-video both in terms of its method of distribution and its overall quality The joke writing was lazy, relying on zaniness, shock value, and a contrived running gag for what I'll conservatively estimate to be 99% of the movie. Inside jokes were also present, but generally relegated to a sort of Where's Waldo meets Dane Cookian "Hey, see that? You remember that? You do? Good for you"

There was a fairly serious subplot, which featured a twist so obvious, they may have well included it in the title, and a title so contrived that it barely even describes any event in the movie.

And then there were the cameos, which probably would have been more endearing if I didn't see these characters on Futurama reruns every weekday on Adult Swim already. Since I do, however, they did little more than flesh out the waste of time.

There were a few songs, which failed in nearly every way, save for that they had a melody and lyrics, hallmarks of most music.

In short, I hated it and I wish they hadn't made it. However, they found a way to make Amy Wong more of an inconsequential character, and for that I have to give them a little credit.

8 comments:

_J_ said...

Futurama stopped being funny the 45th time I saw the series in reruns. The first 30 times it was enjoyable. 31-38 were ok. 38-41 I wondered why Adult Swim didn't show Bebop instead. 42-44 were abysmal. 45 there was no humor left.

Would you have enjoyed the movie if you had not seen Futurama since Fox canceled it?

MA17 said...

I think it may have been carried by novelty to some extent, but still would have been disappointing given the lame joke writing.

And I'm still not sick of seeing Futurama in reruns, so it's not like the subject is dead to me.

_J_ said...

So the movie is worse than the reruns?

...

Oh that's bad.

That's Slayer bad.

I hate Slayer.

Roscoe said...

Woah.. what's with the futurama lashback..

I mean.. even in reruns, it's a better show than fuckin' Family Guy.

I mean.. I get the idea that the jokes get old, when you know what's coming.. but it's still a DAMNED fine show...

MA17 said...

I think Futurama might be my favorite show ever.

_J_ said...

Really?

MA17 said...

Well, comedy cartoon.

_J_ said...

More than Simpsons?