Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

The trailer for Be Kind, Rewind hooked me. The idea of a film consisting of cleverly if shoddily done remakes of well-known movies was, I thought, a good one. I went to see Rewind on Saturday, and I still agree with myself. A film consisting of clever if shoddily done remakes of well-known movies would be a good idea, but as my careful wording will probably lead you to guess: Rewind is not that film.

It starts out silly and a little cliche, then breaks into the movie remake routine and is fun and entertaining, then suddenly gets unabashedly cliche before ending with what is, for me, one of the best and most sincere expressions of what movie lovers believe to be true about the art. It wasn't until that ending sequence that I started to appreciate the movie for what it was: a celebration of movies and movie making.

I'm afraid I'll need to see it again with that in mind before I can say anything else conclusive, but after one viewing I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the ending, and I haven't seen a movie so misrepresented by its trailer since Phantom Menace.

9 comments:

Mike Lewis said...

i bunch of people from BG went to ann arbor to see it Sunday and they really enjoyed it.

I think i am going to try to get up that way next week while i am on spring break (or as i call it, finish my thesis and write a paper about something else)

_J_ said...

I think I'll see it if I am somewhere and a person puts it into a dvd player and forces me to watch it.

Cause I'm not going to pay to see a Jack Black movie which is not Tenacious D related.

Unknown said...

I really like the movie myself. Mos Def never stops surprising me as an actor.

_J_ said...

Is he in a constant state of jumping out from behind things while yelling "boo"?

Unknown said...

If you have seen the Italian Job, Hitchhiker's (which I know you have), 16 Block, and this movie you would know what I mean, Mr. Literal.

_J_ said...

I am not opposed to Mos Def and his springy mannerisms.

Jack Black is just so...Jack Blacky. I'm glad that he found a career and can make money. But I don't feel like subjecting myself to him all that often.

Jack Black is like a cookie. He is a sometimes food.

Roscoe said...

You really want to spark the Muppet Wars again?

Cookies are an everytime food, so help me Jim, and any one who says otherwise is a damned dirty Dozer.

_J_ said...

COOKIES ARE A SOMETIMES FOOD!!

Roscoe said...

You're the arrogant son of a bitch who thought that the Count should take his OCD pills, and that the original seasons were "not suitable for the needs of the modern child", aren't you?

You make me sick, sir. I don't know if there's even a place in heaven for one as debased as you. Certainly no place for you in the Electric Company. Morgan Freeman isn't going to save your day as the Easy Reader. Spider-Man and the Blue Beetle aren't going to help you.

If Viewers Like You made this possible, I want no part of it!