Friday, February 29, 2008

TLDR: Progress Quest is Good

So I've been thinking about video games lately, as I am wont to do, and I've been paying particular attention, thanks in no small part to the conversation we've been having about Quick Time Events, to the phenomenon of how the player understands his role in the game world via the actions he is permitted to perform, and what it would mean to subvert it.

In an arcade there is often little to no overarching logic behind many of the games, yet the player is able to construct purely from context what his goals are supposed to be. By playing Space Invaders, a player, through experimental interaction with his controls, should quickly deduce that he is supposed to move some sort of artillery back and forth while firing on the "Space Invaders", and if he succeeds, he'll do it again, but with a tighter time constraint, and if he fails, the game will ultimately end. He doesn't need to question why it is that he's shooting down Invaders, nor does he have to consider what it is that his avatar represents, he simply tests the limits of his powers as encoded into the game, and coming from his own ability, and concludes that he is supposed to shoot all the Invaders down.

Most of us here, having played all sorts of video games, have compiled a set of expectations regarding different kinds of games. We probably no longer need to experiment with controls and rules for long before we settle in to the role intended by the designer, and then spend our time focusing on achieving the goals appropriate to the role. We approach games as being a member of a genre, which entails certain expectations, and we quickly understand our relationship to the game without necessarily ever questioning it.

These expectations are sometimes subverted, The Longest Journey and Chrono Cross come immediately to mind as games that rely on the player's preconception of their role in the game, and then betrays it in a plot twist which should cause the player to reflect on why it is that they were so blinded by convention that they couldn't predict this inevitability.

One thing I think games could do to become art is to explore this idea more fully; to take that set of expectations we've built up regarding games and then force us to reflect on what they mean. To borrow from the list of RPG cliches, why do we accept all rumors as true in games? Why do we essentially steal from other people under their very noses? Why do we accept certain weapon and armor choices for our characters as being practical? How can we maintain contradictory attitudes toward death, with the notions between "in-battle" death being so different in impact than an "in-cutscene" death? Granted there are games that include false rumors and practical weapons and meaningful deaths, but I think those games simply avoid the issue just as completely as games that rely on the cliches, so why not make a game that is about answering these questions? Progress Quest, I think, is a good example of something like this. It's essentially a (non) game that addresses the somewhat mechanical and ultimately meaningless process of "leveling up". When one considers what it means to be a high level in PQ, I think one should likewise consider what it means in any other game.

Just some thoughts.

7 comments:

_J_ said...

"When one considers what it means to be a high level in PQ, I think one should likewise consider what it means in any other game."

When I was regularly raiding with an established guild in WoW I developed an elitist attitude towards the game. While I was happy to admit that I was wasting my time within the context of WoW I thought I was accomplishing something. I obtained better gear, more gold, more Badges, etc. I was progressing in the game.

Since I lost that raiding guild and am stuck trying to find a new raiding guild I've questioned the meaning of what I'm doing.

Fundamentally gaming is pretty worthless and only has value within the context of the game itself. I think you're right that Progress Quest is indicative of what leveling really is. And while it can be said that the "skills" involved in WoW are different from the "skills" involved in Guitar Hero all of those "skills" are still pretty useless overall.

...

MA17 said...

I agree, but I wouldn't extend that to indicate that video games are worthless any more than I would say that painting and music are worthless because moving a brush and composing a piece are not fundamentally required to survive.

And I've already stumbled into the context trap, but I think you would agree that context is very important, and I would add that the video game context is just as valid as the context present any other pursuit.

What I'd like to see is games that abandon the notion that they are valid vis a vis their contrived contexts of leveling and conquest and discover a way to form an expression that is unique to games. I think video games as they exist today can be valid and meaningful, but they achieve it through means that would work just as well if not better on film. If Final Fantasy VII were a movie it wouldn't lose much impact because there is little there emotionally that comes from the fact that it's a game (although perhaps Aeris' death takes on a different meaning to a player and a viewer...)

MA17 said...

Also, I'm choosing to ignore Serious Games because their aims are more practical than artistic.

_J_ said...

"I wouldn't extend that to indicate that video games are worthless any more than I would say that painting and music are worthless"

Everything is worthless outside of the context in which it is meaningful. Painting, video games, musical skills, sexual prowess? All worthless outside of the contexts in which they are meaningful.

"discover a way to form an expression that is unique to games"

I think that to do this a game has to remove the path and structure which makes it basically a movie/story one plays.

Lots of games are pretty boring in that they are merely establish paths provided for a user to walk. Disgaea, Okami, Mario Galaxy, etc. are really just a path presented to a user. And, sure, one has control over the order in which things happen. But they're still basically an electronic path one follows.

Even something like Spore is basically a movie over which one has some control. There is an established progression and one merely has input on that progression.

To be unique games need to not be that. They need to not be a sequence of hoops through which one jumps. Even though all games are just basically hoop jumping exercises.

_J_ said...

The thing that interests me is the notion of enjoying a game by way of enjoying the gaming experience. The idea that someone can enjoy playing something like WoW.

Because playing WoW is pushing buttons. One then fabricates onto that something else which makes the experience enjoyable.

And I think that is interesting. How we can view a purely mechanical act as something else.

Unknown said...

I like to think Shadow of the Colossus did exactly what you are getting at. It removed all of the bullshit and made the game the experience. I however would like to mention that I am a sucker for the RPG cliches of the world. The leveling not so much, but the cut scenes, the characters, etc.

The only reason I tend to like leveling is in a game where the leveling allows me to level the character in my own way, IE. FFT (jobs), Front Mission 4 (EP) , FF9 (support abilities), FF7 (Materia), Diablo II (skill points) etc. If leveling does nothing but make the character stronger in a vanilla way, such as stat boosts, then it feels worthless.

_J_ said...

Shadow of the Colossus was still just running around in a world killing monsters. It seemed to be just a sequence of boss fights; as if they removed the middle of the game and just gave you the beginning and end.

Worst of all it involved riding a horse.