Tuesday, July 31, 2007

All is not for hidin. All is for trash.

This is something neat that happens every once and a while when you are the sort of person to whom people come with their computer problems. I had the following conversation just now.

L: Jay, it says that I need to delete things from my mailbox. What does that mean?
J: It means that you need to delete some things.
L: Like, from my Deleted Items?
J: Yes. Just right click on your deleted items folder. Yes...that folder. Now right click on it. Ok, now select "Empty Deleted Items".
L: Will that delete all of my deleted items?
J: Yes.
L: I can't do that. I need some of them.

THE FUCK?

The deleted items folder is not your super-secret bin wherein you keep valuable information and necessary files. It's where you put DELETED ITEMS! It's where you put SHIT YOU DON'T NEED ANYMORE. The same goes for the Recycle Bin and the Trash can in your home. These are not your personal storage areas, the cheeks to your proverbial squirrel. These are refuse containers. Putting an item into such a container signifies that the item is not necessary, that it is trash, that it may depart from this realm of existence and cause no one consternation in-so-doing.

I can understand not knowing what the system32 folder does. That name is not clear to a layperson. But "Trash"? "Deleted Items"? Come on.

2 comments:

Roscoe said...

I used to do that on shared computers.... like in the Mac Lab in elementary.... save something dumb in the trash, and see how long it stayed...

I make no excuses for this.

_J_ said...

That i'm ok with. But saving necessary business information in the trash?

That takes a special sort of something.