Friday, August 3, 2007

Mauled to death.

A man was mauled to death at the home of Ving Rhames by 4ish dogs on Friday. The dogs were "mastiffs".

Which once again makes me raise the question, "How could someone lose a fight to a dog?" Because I don't understand it.

Even assuming that this guy had 4 dogs on him, how does one lose that battle? The dangerous part of a dog is its snout, and these are not indestructible objects, or even objects which are difficult to avoid. If the dog remains on all fours and goes for your legs is it not difficult to remove the animal from your legs. If the dog has reared and is jumping to go after your face it has exposed its doggy underbelly, which, again, is not indestructible. So I really don't understand how a person could loose to four snouts.

My theory is that what makes people lose in these situations is the idea of the attacker being a dog and so they hesitate or try to not directly address the problem.

And this is assuming that the person does not have a pocketknife or collapsible button. Which, in my mind, is an instant "I win". I don't think people should hurt puppies, but if the puppy is trying to kill you I don't think it would be that difficult to make it stop.

13 comments:

Andrew said...

you have never been attacked by dog have you?
also, ever met a mastiff? big dogs.

MA17 said...

Plus, these dogs protect Ving Rhames, and that means that they may very well be indestructible.

Roscoe said...

Man.. Eric had a mastiff. The thing was a small horse. MOLLENHOUR looked small compared to it.


The man could ride it as a warpony, I tell you. And it liked to stick it's head in my lap. and stomach. and breastbone.

all at once.


and that was a Mollenhour Mastiff. Optimus is right. Imagine the sheer MASS of a Rhames Mastiff.

Andrew said...

plus, those dogs are very protective and territorial.


J, you wouldnt last 5 minutes.

Mike Lewis said...

i agree, J is wrong

Caleb said...

perhaps if Jay had a 10 gague.. but the recoil might well do him in...

_J_ said...

Libby and I would wrestle on occasion, but she usually just tried to do me in with love.

As Manning would say, "Size doesn't matter." which I always thought was funny coming from Manning. So, really, even if there is a lot of mass behind the snout it's still just a snout, right?

Mike Lewis said...

they have very strong jaws.....and not inbread like libby

_J_ said...

Jaws only matter if they get them around part of your person.

Caleb said...

I think you're failing to appreciate how scrappy dogs can be.

Roscoe said...

I think you're failing to realize the SIZE of a mastiff's HEAD, Jay.


It's jaws? Fit around your WAIST.. with room.

_J_ said...

It can't be bigger than manning.

And given that it can't be bigger than manning and it is less sentient than manning I do not fear it.

Caleb said...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.