Thursday, September 13, 2007

Jessica Rowley: adorable

Jessica Rowley is adorable. Jessica Rowley is a woman. Jessica Rowley is a Catholic Priest.

Wait, what?

Rowley's ordination was approved by the, "Ecumenical Catholic Communion, a group of churches that decline to recognize the authority of the pope but see themselves nevertheless as Roman Catholic."

Think about that for a moment. They don't recognize the authority of the Pope but see themselves as Roman Catholic. How can that be?

Apparently the Old Catholic Church has been around since the First Vatican Council of 1870, where they took issue with the idea of "papal infallibility" and so took their ball, went home, and started their own little popeless Catholic Church. So it is not as if this is a new fight, but rather a very old fight which msnbc just noticed...or something.

In this Newsweek Article we learn that Jessica is a self-googler, "I personally have not received hate mail, although there are plenty of blogs that I have found online that like to slander my name when they get hold of information about my ordination and ministry. It’s unfortunate and sad."

So I thought it sensible to write a nice, not mean-spirited, blog post about Jessica Rowley in the hopes that she would come comment on her position in life, and perhaps shed some light on the theological means by which one can be Catholic and not recognize Papal authority. Also, how one can be Catholic and a priest and a female all at the same time.

And even if Jessica doesn't come post, she is damn cute. And she's a rebel. An Old Catholic Rebel. Being all "I'm not going to recognize your pope who I recognized growing up until he wouldn't let me be a priest so I went over to this other group who would let me be a priest AND wouldn't make me recognize the pope AND was still Catholic!"

So, go Jessica Rowley! You show him. Stupid Pope and his not letting Jessica be a priest. He's such a fallible doodie head.