Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Second City

So.. as part of the inauguration celebrations of the new campus president, Second City is coming to perform at Hanover. In a pair of weeks, actually. Sept. 21, if anyone's interested in dropping by. it's 12 for a ticket if you're not a student, but that might be circumventable.

I'm posting this one, in case folks are interested in going... but two.. because this event has reminded me of so many things I hate. Like being surrounded by younglings. These moral deviants haven't even heard of Bob or Doug MacKenzie. They don't know Count Floyd or Ed Grimley. SCTV means nothing to them.

And it's not just one or two... it's the majority of people I talk to. The house. My classes. Everyone but my 35 year old Manager, I think. It's like I'm in Bizarro World. I'm waiting to discover that they're all Pod People, and Donald Sutherland will throw his head back all bug-eyed and point at me..

Younglings, man. There simply is no other term. It's not like Second City is obscure.. they only paved the way for Modern American Comedy as we know it, nothing big. Just started everybody's career in the 70's-80's.

disgusted.

14 comments:

_J_ said...

If Second City is going to Hanover they must be really hurting for work.

_J_ said...

Wait a second...

"as part of the inauguration celebrations of the new campus president, Second City is coming to perform at Hanover."

...

Second City is coming as a result of the new president?

I remain suspicious...yet impressed...

Roscoe said...

Yeah.

YEAH.

It's their opening on show on the tour.

and no one here knows who they are. Honest to God.

Mike Lewis said...

for the record - second city did there thing at hanover at least 2 times while i was there.

_J_ said...

Second City, or that inane Hanover improv group?

Andrew said...

i saw second city at hanover...

_J_ said...

Oh yeah. That's one of those things I didn't do.

Roscoe said...

So.. now.. Second City has been coming to Hanover..

and STILL no one knows? Honestly?


WHAT THE HELL, MAN?!

Kylebrown said...

while trying to figure out why second city would go to hanover, not once but at least three times I did a quick search for alumni from there to see if that could the source, I found some shocking results.

Not only was it once home to Woody Harrelson, it was also attended by Mike Pence,
yeah, that Mike Pence

Kylebrown said...

P.S. I really thought finding that video would be a lot easier. Unfortunately, it was not so you will be forced to watch just the second half :(

_J_ said...

Yeah, real people go to Hanover, too.

@Roscoe: Maybe the people to whom you are talking did not attend Hanover when Second City was there?

Roscoe said...

Why you gotta make me hate my school, Kyle?

Why you gotta bring up the past?

Ain't you got none o' them social graces?

As for you, Hammanicus Prime, that's vaguely assumed, but the point remains that it's SECOND GODDAMNED CITY, who, like the GODDAMNED BATMAN, is culturally significant and not remotely obscure.

It's not like we're talking Ikaruga or The Tick.... it's not Fernwood 2Nite or anything.

With everyone around here talking up Prairie Home Companion or Mighty Wind, Spinal Tap, Best in Show.. it's not like they don't know the fruits of Second City.. they.. just don't.. know.. Second City.

and worse, I can't even blame a Time Traveller.

_J_ said...

I revoke your right to use the phrase "culturally significant" from this point forth.

Roscoe said...

I revoke your right to do so.


and I further shotgun all future rights for my sole proprietary purposes.

Do you know what gives me the right to do this?

Shared Cultural Significances.